Care & Warranty
Care & Maintenance
The information provided in the following document is intended as a general guideline. With a little care you can prolong the life of your furniture.
Please follow these instructions for the materials of your specific product to ensure maximum longevity of your Sarah Ellison furniture or accessory.
Download Care & Maintenance PDF
Sarah Ellison Warranty and consumer guarantees
Warranty: Sarah Ellison provides this warranty (“Warranty”) for its products that have been purchased in Australia. This Warranty is subject to the Australian Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth)(“Australian Consumer Law”). The benefits provided in this Warranty are in addition to other rights and remedies of a consumer under the Australian Consumer Law, and any other laws in relation to the products to which this Warranty relates. The Warranty period commences from the date of sale. The period of the Warranty will be: (a) 24 months. This Warranty covers the replacement or repair of any product that has a manufacturing or material defect that is not the result of normal wear and tear, or a natural characteristic of the material used. This Warranty is not transferable and does not cover products used for commercial purposes. Exclusions: Subject to the Australian Consumer Law, this Warranty does not apply to any products sold as seconds, floorstock, repaired products, or products that have a defect where this has been drawn to the customer’s attention before the purchase of the product. In addition, this Warranty will not apply if: (a) Repairs to a product are made or attempted by a service provider other than one approved by Sarah Ellison.(b) The product has not been used or maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions as provided with the product.(c) The customer uses the product in an abnormal manner for example if the product is abused, misused, dropped, crushed, impacted with any hard surface, exposed to extreme heat (including fire) or cold, not maintained properly or used after partial failure.(d) The product has been modified, incorrectly adjusted or operated, subjected to incorrect electrical supply or inconsistent electrical supply or used with inappropriate accessories.(e) The product is tampered with in any way.
Consumer guarantees: Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. To the extent that they are compatible with the consumer laws in Australia, the exclusions and provisos that apply to the Sarah Ellison Warranty apply to the consumer guarantees. Consumer guarantee remedies: If there is a major failure with the product, the customer is entitled to: (a) reject the product and get a refund;(b) reject the product and get an identical replacement, or one similar in value if reasonably available; or(c) keep the product and obtain compensation from Sarah Ellison for the drop in value of the product caused by the major failure. If there is a minor failure with the product, the customer is entitled, at the election of Sarah Ellison to: (a) a refund of the cost of the product;(b) replacement of the product; or(c) have the product repaired within a reasonable time. Exclusion of implied warranties: Subject to the above, to the full extent permitted by law, all warranties, conditions and other terms express or implied by statute, custom or common law are excluded. Nothing contained in these terms and conditions excludes or restricts any consumer guarantee, warranty, condition, right or remedy implied by any statute (including the Australian Consumer Law) which cannot be excluded, provided that, to the extent that the statute permits, Sarah Ellison is entitled to limit its liability as set out above for a breach of a guarantee, condition or a warranty implied by that statute.
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Act”) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in relation to the collection, management and disclosure of your Personal Information. For more information, visit www.oaic.gov.au.
What is your Personal Information?
“Personal Information” has the meaning given to it in the Act. Generally, it includes any information that can be used to personally identify you. This may include your name, address, telephone number, email address and occupation, and information about your dealings with us.
What Personal Information do we collect and hold?
Depending on the nature of our relationship with you, we may collect the following types of Personal Information:
- Contact details: telephone, residential, mailing and email addresses;
- Initial identification details: name, and residential address;
- Product and service information: details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
- Business partner details: where you are engaged by us as a business partner, the name of the business that you work for, your role within the business, and your contact details;
- Work details: where you are engaged by us as a service provider, contractor or agent, information about your performance;
- Job applicant details: where you apply for a job with us, information about you that will help us decide whether to offer you the job, including your job application or resume, and references;
- Financial information: including methods of payment you use, credit reports we receive, and any information you provide in relation to application for finance or in-store credit;
- Feedback: information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or service centre, customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time;
- Health information: information we collect about you that we consider reasonably necessary to protect the health and safety of our premises, staff and customers; and
- Analytics: information relating to you that you provide to us indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, including your IP addresses.
It would be unusual for us to need to collect all or even most of the above information from you. The information we will require will depend on the specific service(s) that we provide to you and/or the specific interactions we have with you.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
Direct collection: We collect your Personal Information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting Personal Information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- through your access and use of our website;
- during conversations and communications between you and our representatives;
- when you complete an application or purchase order or ask for a quote to be prepared;
- when you make an on-line purchase;
- when you contact us for further information or register your details on our website;
- your participation in surveys and other types of research;
- when you enter a promotion, sweepstake, or contest hosted by Sarah Ellison;
- when you subscribe to our mailing list or member program;
- when you provide information via social media pages such as the Sarah Ellison Facebook page, Instagram, Tik Tok, Linkedin or our Pinterest account;
- when you supply goods or services to us;
- when you express interest in a particular Sarah Ellison service or product (as applicable); or
- when you submit a job application or résumé, including from your referees, and publicly available information about you.
Cookies and web tracking: Sarah Ellison uses tracking technologies such as cookies to recognise your browser each time it visits our site, and to track which pages you visit whilst on our site. We use this information to optimize our site and create a better online experience for you. Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to a computer’s hard disk for record keeping purposes. Most web browsers are set to accept tracking technologies such as cookies. If you do not wish to receive any cookies, you may set your browser to refuse them.
Remarketing: Our website uses various software platforms and analytics programs, such as Google AdWords, Google Analytics, and the Google Display Network, to serve ads to you on other websites after you have visited our website. This practice is known as remarketing and is a tool that Google and other digital providers offer to businesses. If you would like to opt-out of receiving advertising like this from Google you can manage these settings by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager.
Third parties: We may also collect information from third parties such as credit reporting bodies, law enforcement agencies, and other government agencies.
What happens if we can’t collect your Personal Information?
If you do not provide us with the Personal Information described above, we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all, or we may not be able to provide you with information about our products and services.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information?
We retain Personal Information for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected or in some circumstances for longer periods where extended retention is required by law or regulation, and as necessary in order to defend our legal rights.
Sarah Ellison may use, collect and hold your information to provide our products and services to you, to better understand your needs and provide you with better services, including for:
Customer service, including to:
- complete transactions in store or online;
- deliver products and services;
- provide our membership program; and
- deal with queries, comments or customer service issues promptly whether by email, social media, telephone or mail. (We may also keep information on your communications with our customer service representatives).
Marketing, including to:
- keep you up-to-date with products, services, events or promotions we think would be of particular interest through a variety of channels. (You are able to “opt-out” from this activity at any time);
- evaluate the effectiveness of our online advertising; and
- evaluate our website’s performance and to improve the content we display to you.
Business operations, including to:
- analyse our business, including for planning, marketing, research, recruiting and training purposes;
- enhance your customer experience in store and online and help us complete your transactions faster;
- administer our business, analyse trends, administer our website, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information; and
- ensure the health and safety of our premises, staff and customers, which may involve us collecting your health related information.
Sarah Ellison may also use, collect and hold your information:
- when preventing fraud and other criminal activities;
- when recruiting staff and engaging with contractors; and
- for other purposes explained at the time of collection or which are required or authorised by or under law, and for which you have provided consent.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your Personal Information to:
- Related Bodies Corporate: (as that term is defined in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), in particular to our parent company and franchisees.
- Service providers: including, without limitation, technology service providers for services such as application and systems, cloud computing facilities, development and technical support, processing, storing, hosting, research and data analysis, payment protection providers, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, network administrators, debt collectors, third party product repairers, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants.
- Partners: including, without limitation, our third party marketing agencies, membership program partners, Facebook, Google, organisations we partner with for promotions or for distribution, and other organisations we think you would like to receive further information from.
- Law enforcement: to any person, regulatory body or government agency in order to comply with any law.
- Purchasers of our business: if we sell some or all of our business to a third party, we will disclose all of your information to the new owner(s) in the process of undertaking that transaction or transactions.
We seek to protect your privacy when we send Personal Information overseas. This includes satisfying ourselves that the overseas recipient either will not breach the Australian Privacy Principles or is subject to a similar binding obligation which you can enforce. Entities located outside of Australia to whom we may disclose your Personal Information include, without limitation, the following: our Related Bodies Corporate, located in United Kingdom, Europe, Asia and South Africa; and our data hosting and other IT and CRM service providers, located in the United States, Brazil, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Asia.
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you if you would reasonably expect us to do so in light of how we collected your Personal Information. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, social media and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
With your consent, we may provide your Personal Information to organisations that we partner with from whom we think you would like to receive further information. We may also provide you with direct marketing communications from organisations that we partner with from whom we think you would like to receive further information.
Access and correction
You may request access to any Personal Information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We may ask you to pay our reasonable costs to give you access to your Personal Information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the Personal Information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that Personal Information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the Personal Information stating you disagree with it.
Third-party web sites
Links to third party web sites on www.sarahellison.com.au are provided solely as a convenience to you. If you use these links, you will leave Sarah Ellison's site. Sarah Ellison is not responsible for any of these sites, their content or their usage of your Personal Information.
Sarah Ellison is committed to ensuring the security of your Personal Information and uses industry standard security measures to safeguard and protect your information. This includes taking reasonable steps to ensure your Personal Information is protected from loss, misuse, unauthorised modification or disclosure. Some of the steps we take to protect your information include:
- utilising security restrictions on access to our systems such as passwords, firewalls and anti-virus software;
- external and internal premises security.
Complaints or questions
If you have any questions about this Policy, any concerns or a complaint regarding the treatment of your privacy or a possible breach of your privacy, please use the contact link on our website or contact our Privacy Officer using the details set out below.
Privacy Officer contact details:
All complaints received will be dealt with fairly and in a timely manner considering all the circumstances of the complaint. In most cases, we expect that complaints will be investigated and a response generally provided within 30 days of receipt of the complaint. If the matter is more complex and our investigation may take longer, we will contact you and advise you of this.
For information about privacy generally, you may visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.
Express consent to collection, storage, use and disclosure